Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

This Self-Help Author is no Guru-



Being an author of a self-help book, self-help articles, pamphlets, and blogs, certainly doesn’t qualify little ole me as a self-help guru. Far from it.
I am always aware that the confidence behind my words are not solely mine. They spring forth from the many others who have lifted me up through the years…friends, therapists, priests, and other authors. I am not acting alone. And that’s actually a beautiful thing. The wisdom and insight given as a pure gift of empathy, friendship, or a generous spirit, becomes a light inside of me that another can tap into and be brightened by. They in turn do the same. A unifying endeavor.

Along with my readers, I listen to and take the advice that I post on my blogs. I am as much the student as the teacher. We learn and rise a little higher together.

A good priest friend of mine who has been listening to my woes and triumphs for over 20 years now, recently advised that we not focus on ‘making a mark’ with whatever talents we possess, but to simply thank God for them and ask that they be put to positive use. To sow good seeds and not concern ourselves with the outcome. (Do they like it?  How many people read what I write? Has it helped someone?)  He often quotes Romans 8:28…And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

I ‘try’, and the key word here is ‘try,’ to turn various not-so-good challenging experiences to positive lessons. I think of the many people who have done this…Christopher Reeve turned the aftermath of his paralyzing accident to inspire others with similar spinal injuries to stay positive.  Jamie Fox is doing the same thing with his Parkinson’s Disease.Lizzie Velasquez , bullied for her appearance due to a disorder that doesn’t allow her to gain weight, is now an inspirational speaker to help others gain confidence in themselves no matter how they look or what people say. Many musicians write songs to encourage and lift the spirit. Authors write amazing stories of courage and hope. The Founders of AA, Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith, turned the struggle with sobriety from alcoholism into an incredible helpful International fellowship organization for other alcoholics. The examples can go on and on.

None of us are 100% strong all the time and in every way. Not even self-help writers. We borrow from one another's strength. 
 And I am so grateful to those who have let me ignite my little spark to their flame, and I hope you can ignite to mine when needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment